After four years, it's becoming something of an annual tradition for the Meetup group I often lead hikes for. Today we'll be "shooting the hooch" through Helen, GA once again. Helen is a charming little Georgia mountain town that a few decades ago decided to become Bavarian-inspired. In September of every year, tourists descend on this little village to celebrate Oktoberfest. The other thing Helen is famous for is that the Chattahoochee River runs right through the middle of the little village, though it's more of a very shallow creek here near it's headwaters. That said, I thought it would be good to get our float in before the crowds descend.
Meeting up with the other attendees at the appointed time, we did a quick round of introductions and then got everyone checked in at Cool River Tubing who offer a tube rental and shuttle service for those wanting to float the river. It's great fun, though there is not alcohol allowed, which has always struck me as kind of crazy. I floating down a mostly calm river in an innertube. Who could I possibly hurt other than myself? Ah well, it's still fun even without the booze.
As we step into the river with our tubes, the water seems cold, but we adjust very quickly. We're doing the long float today, which takes us about 2.5 miles through the shallow waters. Half the fun is getting stuck on rocks and having to get yourself unstuck. While there are a few people on the river today, it's not nearly as crazy as it will be in the weeks to come. The four people in my group are mostly able to stay together, though we tend to shuffle our position as each of us gets stuck on various rocks and other obstacles. At one point, I realize I've developed and already accidentally popped a blister on my thumb using the wheelbarrow handle they gave me to push myself off of rocks. Ah well, it's not a party until someone gets hurt. I do my best to protect it the rest of the way down the river.
With about two hours on the river, we end up at the take out and reconvene our group before hoping on the shuttle bus that will take us back to our cars at the headwaters outpost on the other end of town. What a relaxing way to spend an afternoon. And now, we're going to visit a little winery sit atop a hill overlooking Mount Yonah on the other end of town. Life is good!


No comments:
Post a Comment