Friday, August 14, 2026

Perseid Meteor Shower at Tahoe Meadows (Washoe County, Nevada)

    **Please Note - Photo courtesy of Google

Driving back down from the Sand Harbor on Lake Tahoe after having watched an outstanding performance of Macbeth, I suggest to my friend that we should stop in Tahoe Meadows and see if we can catch any shooting stars from the Perseid Meteor Shower. I had intended to camp out on the Black Rock Desert last night for the show, but with wildfire smoke and ongoing storms and cloudiness decided better of it. Tonight though, the skies are clear and while there is considerably more light pollution here than in the Black Rock, it's still pretty dark. 

I pull over and we hop out of my rental Jeep. We begin scanning the sky for any sign of meteors. the peak of the shower has been the last two nights, but we're still close enough to peak that we should see something. Before I can even finish stating that prediction, we spot a couple streaking across the sky. As is always the case when you try to point one out to someone with you, it's gone before they can even turn their head. It's pretty cool up here this time of night and while we only stay ten minutes or so, we catch roughly 6 or 7 shooting stars, which makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment