Sunday, July 23, 2017

Lands End (San Francisco County, California)


Never one to know when to quit, I decided to check out another trail after the half-marathon this morning. Lands End is the rockiest and most treacherous section of coast along the San Francisco Peninsula. Stories tell of numerous sunken ships in the waters of this area.

Finding a parking spot in the popular area, I decide to put on a light jacket as the cold fog is still present and each wave of the ocean brings with it more cold air. The trail forms a loop around the park, but as I want to get home at a reasonable time, I elect to only do a small portion of the trail and then hike back out. 


From the way they appear to be battered, I'd wager the trees in this area have seen some terrible storms coming in from the broad ocean before us. The trail is dirt, but well maintained and leads down steeply to a small overlook with an accessible beach below. In the angry ocean before us, great pillars of rock rise from and are eternally battered by the waves. 

As I reach the top of the overlook, I find something of interest that I had read about. On a large flat area of the natural overlook, someone has formed a circular labyrinth from local stones. A number of visitors attempt to find their way out of the feature. It's actually a pretty cool idea and while I don't actually enter it, I do enjoy watching others get lost in the maze.


After a few minutes, I decide to head back to the jeep. I still have a long drive ahead of me to get home to Reno and besides, I think my legs have had enough exercise this day. The short trail was only about 1.3 miles with the path I chose. It seems I'm getting in a habit of short hikes after long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment