Sunday, July 23, 2017

San Francisco Marathon - 1st Half (San Francisco County, California)


Since Iv'e gotten into running over the last few years, I've tried to make it a point to only do big runs when they are in a scenic area (Tahoe, Death Valley, Napa, etc.) and when I learned of the San Francisco Marathon, I couldn't resist the chance to run across the Golden Gate Bridge as part of the first half.

As the 5:30 start time approached, nearly 27,000 runners (combined marathoners and half-marathoners) began to line up along the Embarcadero. I've never seen so many runners in one place at one time. It's like a sea of runners here. So much so, that they start us out in pre-assigned waves spread 5-10 minutes apart. The organization of the race seems pretty good, but dealing with so many people has to be a logistical nightmare. 


As my wave's start time arrives, we run through the inflated arch and begin the long 13.1 mile trek to the finish line. Runners of all paces are in the group and push themselves forward as we make our way pass the piers of the bay.

As we arrive at the bridge, the fog is so think it's occasionally condensing into a rain drop and battering us on our sweaty heads. Running across the bridge, which has been limited to one way traffic (southbound) to accommodate the race, the tall red towers of the iconic bridge can only be seen when we are nearly right at them. As we arrive at the other side, I take advantage of the restrooms and hydration stations. With so many runners, the lines for the restrooms are very long and add significant minutes (15-ish) to my final time. No sooner do my feet start moving again then are we headed the opposite direction across the bridge. Apparently, this is a highlight and popular attraction of the race.

Finally, arriving at the finish line I'm greeted with a mylar blanket, a bottle of water, a banana, and my finisher's medal. This is my fourth half-marathon and I think the distance suits me. While I didn't set any records with my time, I enjoyed myself and will likely run this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment