Saturday, July 15, 2017

Shadow of the Miwok (Tuolumne County, California)


For a few weeks, I've wanted to take a day to explore Sonora Pass. I expected the record snow falls this past winter would make for a beautiful drive through the high mountain pass. Prior to leaving, I had researched a few hikes I wanted to check out along the way on or near highway 108. The first on my list was just beyond the town of Strawberry, California. The Forest Service has recreated a Miwok Village just across the highway from Summit Ranger Station.

Much of Northern California was once inhabited by a group or related Native American tribes who called themselves the Miwok, which means "the people" in their native language. I've seen a few examples of their villages over the years in various parts of the Sierra Nevada. The ranger station example includes a short trail through the forest that passes in and around three traditional dwellings. The Miwok homes, which were traditionally made by leaning several long strips of tree bark upon each other in a pyramidal formation, leaving a small opening for entry. 

I take a few minutes to walk around the village before heading to my second destination, which is only a short distance away. It's good to know that we make efforts to preserve this history and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to have visited it.

No comments:

Post a Comment