Saturday, February 17, 2018

Kings Canyon Waterfall (Ormsby County, Nevada)


I have lived in Reno for more than fifteen years and only recently did I learn of another waterfall in the Carson City area, just thirty miles to the south. I find this a little funny, as I spend a fair amount of time scouring various sources for interesting places to visit and hike. That said and now that I know about the waterfall, I had to add it to my list to be visited.

As I have some time this morning, I thought I would take the short drive to the western outskirts of the state capitol and check out Kings Canyon Waterfall. As I arrived at the trailhead, I surprised to find a dozen or so cars already there. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising given the falls proximity to a small metropolitan area like Carson City. As I walk up to the trail, I note a sign providing a map of a number of interconnected trails starting from this trailhead. I may have to hike more of them in the future.

The short hike to the falls follows a couple of switchbacks up the hillside and eventually turns a sharp left to enter the narrow rocky canyon. After the turn, waterfall is so close the mist is pretty much spraying the visitor in the face. Flowing over a 30-ish foot moss-covered cliff, the water splits into three flows. The top of each has a small amount of ice, which is a little surprising. It's been pretty warm, but this is February after all.

I carefully step out into the shallow water to get a couple of pictures. The constraints of the canyon prevent me from back up to get a wide shot, but I think they turned out okay. As I'm getting ready to depart, a young family arrives to enjoy a day at the falls. I wish a good day and head back the 0.3 miles or so to the trailhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment