Monday, February 5, 2018

McWay Falls (Monterey County, California)


I've always been curious about the area along California's Highway 1 known as Big Sur. As I have to travel from the town of Chico to Joshua Tree National Park today, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity to see the coast. My specific destination is one of only two waterfalls in California that empties directly into the Pacific Ocean, McWay Falls.

Leaving the hotel early, I head south and make my way along the central valley and on through to Monterey. From there, highway 1 becomes the sole road snaking its way along the rock, steep slopes of the California coast on it's way to Santa Barbara. As the miles pass, signs warn that the highway is closed many miles beyond the falls and that no detour is available. It's understandable as the mountains above me are steep and without mercy. As I'm with a few miles, I decide to continue on and then just back track to get to my next destination.

Finally arriving at the falls, my breath is taken away by the site before me. It looks like a post card from some tropical paradise. The thin stream of water run out of a finger of lushly covered terrain to drop 75 or so feet into the sapphire blue waters of the ocean below. I take a few minutes to hike around the defined trail for the best view before returning to my jeep and head back the way I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment