Sunday, February 4, 2018

Zim Zam Falls (Napa County, California)


For some time, I have been aware of a remote waterfall in northern Napa County. For my second hike of this extended road trip, I decided to seek Zim Zam Falls out and explore the area. The drive to the trailhead follows some winding backcountry roads in and around Lake Berryessa. The countryside is gorgeous. Rolling hills covered with a carpet of golden grasses flow to the horizon in every direction. 


I'm forced to cross a number of causeways along this old road. Some have creek water flowing across them, but nothing of consequence. I search carefully for an area matching the description of the trailhead, but eventually decide to turn back, assuming I had missed it. Finally, I find the unmarked pull-off. At the same time, a friendly couple with thick British accents pull into the area and ask me if this is the proper place. I tell them that I think it is and we decide to find out.

Crossing the road and walking around a small meadow, I see something unexpected along the trail. A hedge-apple lay right in the middle of the walkway. The neon-green wrinkled surface of the fruit are unmistakable and the tree nearby with several smaller fruit confirms my finding. I haven't seen one of these trees since my childhood visits to see my grandparents in Western Kentucky. I never expected to find such a thing here, nor did I even know they grew in this area.

Continuing on, the trail is well defined, but requires several creek crossings as it passes through this beautifully wide valley. Most are shallow enough to simply walk through, but others require a bit of rock-hopping. Game trails lead off the main trail in all directions and recurring signs notify the hiker of fiber-optic lines passing below the surface.

The trail continues up the valley for several miles, with a total of ten water-crossings, before finally turning up hill on a large switchback. Just as I start up the hill, I catch my first glimpse of the falls in the far distance.


The water pours out of the mountainside and drops what appears to be 200+ feet to the creek below. It's difficult to judge the exact distance, but regardless, it is a pretty tall waterfall. I continue up the hill looking for the best view. I'm never able to approach the base or top of the falls, but this vantage point allows for some good shots. 


Turning back towards the trailhead, I re-encounter the British couple and describe where I found the best view. I make my way back to the jeep. Just before reaching the meadow with the hedge-apple, I am greeted by a hawk flying out of the creek-bed with a snake in it's clutches and flying just a few feet above my head. 

As I return to the jeep, I take note of my distance. I was able to get in just over 7-miles on this trail. It was pretty easy except for the very last section, but it was still a good hike. As many of the reviews of this trail mention an abundance of ticks, I decide to give myself a good once-over before head out. Luckily, none of the bloodsuckers found they're way onto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment