Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Lost Palms Oasis (Joshua Tree National Park, California)


For my second hike within Joshua Tree, I had intended to do the Willow Hole Trail, but I looked at the map incorrectly and missed the turn for it. As I don't really have the time to go back, I decided to hike to the Lost Palms Oasis instead. 

This trail is near the southwestern entrance of the park and according to a ranger I briefly spoke with, leads to a seemingly out of place group of palm trees deep down in a desert wash. It seemed interesting and the distance was just about right of the time I had available. 


The trail departs the parking lot and heads straight into the heart of some of the most arid country I have ever seen. Near the trail head, a couple of boulders have had grinding holes worn into them. Presumably, this was used as a mortar in centuries past for the grinding of the tiny desert acorns into a viable food source by and for the local indigenous peoples.


Further along the trail, I encounter a gorgeous garden of cholla cactus. They cover the ground like tailgaters at a Raiders Game, but are much better looking. The gold and brown needles look almost treasure like.

The trail flows up and down through washes and over hills as it pushes me onward toward the distant oasis. For the most part, the it is easy to follow, but in a few places it becomes a bit tricky. I encounter a few other hikers and as always has been my experience, they offer a friendly greeting and encouragement.


Finally reaching a sharp drop off, I see a number of hikers sitting on the rocks and eating their lunches. Far below a number of tall palm trees rise from the desert floor to greet the sun. The trees have propagated up into the far hillside. Though smaller and presumable younger, the palms in this higher area are no less impressive and seemingly out of place.


I take a few minutes to get some pictures, but the whipping wind makes it a bit difficult. Finally turning around, I had back the way I came. Just as I reach the trailhead, I encounter an older couple that catch my attention. He is wearing a t-shirt from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville (where I went to school) and she has a St. Louis Cardinals cap on her head. These are my people and I have to take a minute to say hello and chat with my countrymen (and countrywomen).

Returning to the jeep, I see that I covered nearly 7 miles on this trail. It seems to have been a good cross-section of the park and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to hike it.

No comments:

Post a Comment