Friday, June 22, 2018

Camping in the Santa Rosa Range (Humboldt County, Nevada)

 

For my adventure this weekend, I decided to join the meetup group I often hike with for a camping/hiking trip into the Santa Rosa Range north of Winnemucca, NV. Though most of the group drove out Thursday, I didn't want to burn any vacation days for the trip and so, I made the 3+ hour journey Friday after work. Another member of the group, Michael, asked if he could carpool out with me and I was happy to share the fuel costs and have some company for the long drive.

We drove across Hinkey Summit, which I had visited a few months back as dusk approached and finally reached the remote and somewhat hidden Lye Creek Campground just about 8:30 PM. Our friends greeted us and showed us to the sites they had saved for us. I quickly put up my tent and got my bedding ready. Michael did the same nearby and afterwards we joined the large group around the campfire they had going a few yards from where I parked.

After sharing a few beers, some snacks, and an ample amount of campfire chatter, we noticed the hour getting late and all decided to turn in for the night. As everyone departed for their nearby campsites, we agreed to meet back at the large fire ring at 8:00 am to start a day hike into the surrounding country.

While I do love the minimalist nature of backpacking, there is also something to be said for the comforts of car camping. Without the need to worry about ounces, I brought three sleeping pads and much much bulkier sleeping bag. A light cool breeze swept through my tent as I crawled into my warm bag and a moment or two later, I was out for the count.

There is something to be said about the way we awake to each day. In direct contrast to the obnoxious screaming alarm at home, I woke this morning to the sounds of a flowing creek a mere 10 yards from me and birdsong above. So serene it was, I decided to lay there for just a little bit and enjoy before getting up and fixing some breakfast.


The group had hiked up to Granite Peak, the tallest in the range, on Friday before I arrived and today, the plan was to hike the jeep trails to a short N/S ridge just northwest of our campground. True to practice, we departed at just a couple of minutes after 8:00 am. Starting out up the gradual incline of a jeep trail heading west and further into the mountains, the group of a dozen or so hikers start spreading out according to pace. When we reach a fork in the road, we wait for everyone to catch up and decide to leave the road and start up the much steeper incline towards the ridge. 


Along the way, we note a hill of harvester ants busy with activity. Hundreds of them packed into the small space, but they seem undisturbed by us. Though there is a bit of rock scrambling near the top, everyone makes it safe and without incident. From here, the views are majestic. In every direction, I can see at least fifty miles, perhaps more. We break for a quick snack while sitting on the loose talus, before starting the precarious scramble down and following the fence line until we reach another jeep trail, which we are pretty sure connects back to our original path out of the campground. Our suspicion is correct and after putting in about 5.7 miles on the trail, we find ourselves back at the campground. 


Everyone returns to their respective sites to refresh and change, before reconvening at the campfire. My friend Vijay asks if not to tired from the morning hike, would I be willing to drive the jeep up to the natural arch, which I visited last winter, and possibly climb to the peak of the mountain above, the actual Hinkey Summit. As I'm not really tired at all, I'm actually rather excited to get in some more exercise this afternoon. 


Vijay and Michael climb in the jeep and we head the mile or so up the road to the pass. As I turn to drive up the steep, rocky road that leads to the top of the Arch, Vijay is somewhat surprised, as he didn't think we could drive up this far. The road poses very little challenge to my jeep and we park near the top of the arch to admire the natural splendor. After a few minutes, we decide to hike up the road a bit further, though the jeep could have made it without an issue. 

After hitting the high ridge on the road, I step off the jeep trail and begin to bushwhack my way up the steep northern slope of Hinkey Summit. Vijay follows a short distance behind, but Michael decides to head back to the jeep. It's slow going as there is no trail, ample rocks and bushes, and a heart-pounding incline. The final 30-ish feet to the peak is extremely precarious and I must place my feet extremely carefully as the talus is very brittle and subject to breaking under stress. At the top, I find and sign a small register that someone has placed into a glass jar and stashed under a rock for safe keeping. Vijay joins me a few minutes later and we take in the view from ~8,500 ft, before carefully making our way back down the slope and to the campground.

Returning to camp, we find our comrades enjoying each others company over beer, wine and table games. We join them at the campfire and enjoy dinner together. The fire rages deep into the evening and I eventually decide to turn in for the night.

I sleep in a bit later this morning, but again wake to the sounds of the creek and birdsong. Once awake, I start breaking down my camp. I had told Michael and the rest of the group that I wanted to get an early start and get back in Reno with some daylight left. As we make our way down the mountain, we encounter a small rattlesnake on the jeep trail. He coils and prepares to strike at the jeep, but allows us to pass without incident, though his fangs might have problems with my tires and/or undercarriage.


Our last view as we make our way down Hinkey Summit Road are hillsides covered with a sea of golden wildflowers - incredibly gorgeous. It was a fantastic weekend, full of beautiful countrysides, good friends, and lots of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment