Saturday, June 9, 2018

Loves Falls (Sierra County, California)


Next on the list is Loves Falls, which is only a few miles from Lakes Basin. As I arrive in the trailhead, which happens to be a road-crossing for the PCT, I encounter three thru-hikers. The nice chaps with a British accent ask if I would be willing to give them a ride into Sierra City. I tell them I was planning a short hike to the falls and that if they are still there when I return, we'll figure out a way to get them and their gear down the road to their supply.

I cross the street and follow the short trail down to the falls. This is actually the PCT that I'm hiking on and a tall foot-bridge has been constructed to allow the trail to cross the North Yuba River just above the falls. This whole area is really gorgeous. The river cuts a swath through the granite here and plows over the short falls, called Loves Falls. It's only about a ten to fifteen foot drop, but the river rages over it.


I decided to head up the trail a bit further to see if there are any better views. Across the bridge, a number of switchbacks head up the hillside, but after covering another half-mile or so beyond the falls, I've pretty much lost view of the river and decide to head back to the jeep.

Returning to the trailhead, the Brits seem to have gotten a ride as they are no-where to be found. I wish them well, but it would have been tough to fit all three plus their packs into the jeep. Checking my phone, I see I've hiked about 2.4 miles. Not much, but a good little hike to get the blood pumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment