Saturday, June 16, 2018

Rock Tahoe Half-Marathon 2018 (Douglas County, Nevada)


Another year, another Rock Tahoe Half-Marathon. This will be my third year running this half along the gorgeously scenic eastern side of Lake Tahoe. I often choose not to repeat specific half-marathons, but I've always thought of this one as the best organized of any I have run and that helps to keep bringing me back.

Like last year, I decided to stay up at the lake instead of getting up at 3:00 am to make the trip. The Hard Rock Hotel, which serves as sponsor and finish line has pretty nice rooms and since the packet pickup, shuttle to the starting line, and the after party are all here, it makes everything nice and convenient. After getting a pretty nice night of sleep in my ninth floor room overlooking the lake, I wake at 5:15 to get ready to run. After getting a few calories in me, putting some sunscreen on, getting all of my running-wear on, and grabbing a bottle of water, I head outside to the shuttle pick up.


The race provides a number of shuttles from the hotel to the starting line at Spooner Lake, some thirteen miles to the north along highway 50. Two start times are scheduled. Walkers and those that don't expect to complete the race in under 3-ish hours, get to start an hour earlier at 7:00 am, while runners start at 8:00 am. This policy is in place to ensure the first person to cross the finish line is actually the winner of the race. 

Unlike two years ago when it snowed on us a bit at the starting line, the temperature and weather are absolutely perfect. My weather app reports 49° and there isn't a cloud in the sky above us - perfect running weather! While we wait for the start of the race, I visit with some friends, both new and old. Runners are a pretty friendly crowd. As we approach the starting time, all 3,000 or so of us starting moving up towards the startling line and organizing ourselves into groups with the pacers. Though I'm nursing an ankle I rolled a week ago, I feel pretty strong this morning and put myself with the 2:15 group. 

With a quick countdown and the sound of a air horn, we're off. The start is always congested, but as we make the turn out of the parking area and onto the highway, which has the right most lane closed to cars for this event, the pack starts to open up. 

As always, the first 2-ish miles are down hill as we run down the highway from Donner Summit, loosing a few hundred feet of elevation as we go. I'm feeling really, really good along this stretch and note that I'm pushing a sub-nine minute mile pace. Finally, at about the three mile mark, the sapphire blue waters of Lake Tahoe become visible in the distance. As we continue putting miles in, the route hugs the eastern shore of the giant alpine lake. 

After eight or so miles, I'm still feeling pretty strong, though I did decide to take it easy on many of the uphills. I do however need to stop for a bio-break at one of the aid stations. There is a short line for the two porta-potties and I loose 5-ish minutes waiting, but it's better than not-going. After relieving myself, I'm back on the trail and still feeling pretty good. The temperature has risen to what feels like about 65°, which is still great for running.


As we leave the highway to finish the last couple of miles on bike trails, I start feeling the fatigue and I'm forced to walk a few sections, especially the one with the steep uphill. For the remainder of the race, I alternate between running and walking, before finally making that last turn that brings the finish line into view. At this point, a fellow runner and I nod to each other and decide to finish strong. We both burst into a near-sprint and step through the finisher's arch.


Crossing the finish line and dropping to a walk, one of the greeters places a finisher's medal around my neck and I head towards the beer tent to get a much-deserved beer from AleworkX. My official finishing time was 2:31:34, which is not best, but also not my worst. Not having much time before I'm required to check out of my room, I head up to get a quick shower and pack my bag before returning home. As always it was a great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment