Saturday, June 9, 2018

Lakes Basin Petroglyphs (Plumas County, California)


I recently heard about a petroglyph site just south of Graeagle, in the Lakes Basin area. I've hiked this area numerous times over the years, but never knew about the site. As I had some time this morning, I decided try to find the rock art and hit a few other sites nearby.

The directions I found were on the mark, and I had no trouble at all locating the panels. Unfortunately though, the petroglyphs are fading into obscurity. The two adjacent panels face upwards and some informational panels detail the carvings, but either due to the cloudy skies above or the ravages of time, I can only locate a couple of petroglyphs on the panel. It's a little disappointing, but I'm still glad visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment