Thursday, July 26, 2018

Galena Falls (Washoe County, Nevada)


Every summer my team at work hosts a picnic to celebrate the accomplishments of the previous twelve months and when you live and work near Lake Tahoe, you picnic at the lake. We rented the group area of Sand Harbor and I helped grill up the food for our ninety-ish attendees and their families. After relaxing a bit and playing some games with my co-workers, I decided to take advantage of the day and do a quick hike to Galena Falls, the trailhead for which is on my way home. I've visited the falls a number of times over the years on my way to the summits of either Mr. Rose or Relay Peak, for which the waterfall area acts as the fork in the trail.

When I drove past early this morning on the way to the picnic the trail head parking lot was filling quickly, but returning about 1:30 PM, there were a few parking spots scattered here and there. I had forgotten the public restrooms were closed due to snow damage last year, which forced me to change out of my swimming trunks and into some shorts in the jeep. Once I had changed clothes, I quickly hit the trail.


While it's warm today, up here at 9,000 feet, the air temperature is very pleasant and a light breeze makes it all the better. The trail, known as the Mt. Rose Trail, is always very well maintained and coupling that with it's proximity to Reno and Lake Tahoe, it's always a popular destination for anyone seeking a few hours in the wilderness. In the distance, I can see the lake. A light haze has settled over the area, mostly due to the Ferguson Fire raging some miles south of here in northern Yosemite. Luckily, it's not bad enough to cause any major issues.


As I make my way around the side of Tamarack Peak, the mighty Mt. Rose comes into view. I have reached the 10,785 foot summit of the mountain a number of times over the years, but with other commitments in town this afternoon, I will be content to reach the waterfall, which serves as the half-way point to the summit.

Dropping down into the large green meadow cut and nourished by Galena Creek, the waterfall comes into site. It's only about 35 feet tall, but somewhat unique due to the coloration of the stones over which the water plummets. The reds and whites of the wet stone adds character to the little waterfall, which is flowing quite well for this late in July.

After taking a few pictures, I turn around and head back the way I came. Reaching my jeep, I see I covered right at 4.9 miles, which seems about right. It's a short little hike and close to home, but always worth it to breathe the fresh mountain air.

No comments:

Post a Comment