Sunday, July 8, 2018

Cave Rock Overlook (Douglas County, Nevada)



Along highway 50 and the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe, a large outcropping of volcanic rock riddled with caves and sacred to the Washoe Tribe had two tunnels bored through it in 1931 to allow the roadway access. I've driven through the tunnels countless times over the years and even run through them a few times as part of the Rock Tahoe Half-Marathon.

Only recently, I learned of a short trail that climbs to the top of Cave Rock and offers an outstanding view of Lake Tahoe. On my way home from other stops in the Tahoe area, I decided to hike up the half-mile trail. The trail gently climbs until it reaches the base of the actual rock and then a measure of rock-scrambling is necessary. 

Once at the top, the view does not disappoint. It's a bit precarious with an flat-ish area only 20x20 feet or so. I take some shots of the lake below, before heading back the way I came and heading home for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment