Sunday, July 8, 2018

Glen Alpine Falls (El Dorado County, California)


The Lake Tahoe Basin has so many waterfalls that even after living in the area for over 15 years, I still haven't visited them all. While in the Emerald Bay area, I decided to take the narrow, but popular one-lane road along Fallen Leaf Lake to Glen Alpine Falls.

While the drive is only a few miles, between summer residents, the marina, and the campground, the road is extremely busy this time of year. Which wouldn't be a problem, but as the road twists and turns through the tree-covered hillside it offers just a few wide spots that allow two cars to pass each other. Fortunately, my jeep allows me to go up on a bit rougher stuff than the passenger cars. Though, it takes a while, I finally make it to the falls and find a parking spot. 

Knowing this will only be a quick visit, I hike out a few yards to a rock face overlooking the cascading waterfall. The water is flowing pretty well, but I'm sure it would have been a torrent a month ago. The waterfall is wide and takes several paths across the rock bed before reaching the creek below. It's quite a pretty waterfall, but with only little time to visit, I head back the way I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment