Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Point Mariah overlooking Royal Gorge (Placer County, California)


What better way to start the 4th of July holiday off than with a hike to a gorgeous overlook. I first heard of Point Mariah late last fall, but as the trail is on the private property of a cross-country ski resort, I thought it best to wait until the snows had melted and the patrols had stopped patrolling for the year. 

Finding the trail head was a little challenging, as many of the markers I was looking for were not to be found. The trail head and kiosk mentioned in the guide I was following must have been washed off the side of the mountain and down into the creek and the iron gate that blocks the road has been removed and deposited in some nearby bushes. After walking down the dirt road about a quarter-mile in the wrong direction though, I finally got my bearings and figured out where I should be headed.



The trail starts by crossing sturdy bridge over Serene Creek. The creek is nothing more than a dribble at this point in the season, but it is still running, albeit very slowly. From there, the trail undulates slowly as it traverses the side of the mountain. I suspect this would be a great snowshoe trip during the winter months. Milkweed and other wildflowers cover the hillsides and the occasional break in the trees offer a taste of what I expect will be a spectacular view at the end of the trail.



Reaching the fork mentioned in the guide, I continue to the left. From here the trail begins to twist and turn through a number of down trees and I come across a pile of dark scat in the middle of the trail. It's unlike bear or deer droppings, and I have a reasonable suspicion that it is from a mountain lion. Upon returning home and researching a bit, I'm pretty convinced that it was from the large cat. I think it's about day old, but it's still enough to put my senses on alert. In all of my adventures, I've been lucky enough to never have come face to face with one of the big cats and I'm happy to keep that record in tact. Normally, mountain lions avoid humans, but there is always the exception.

Finally reaching the clearing of the southern most outcropping overlooking the Royal Gorge of the North Fork of the American River, I have reached Point Mariah. The small tastes I captured earlier on the way up did not oversell the view. Looking west, I can see thirty or forty miles down the large valley cut by the river. It's actually reminiscent of Yosemite, but much more green and a lot less granite. This vista point alone makes the trail worth while.



The trip back to my jeep is uneventful, but when I finally reach the dirt road leading to the bridge, a truck passes me and stops to ask for directions to the trail. I had seen them pass in the other direction just a couple of minutes before. Apparently, they were confused by the same guide and lack of landmarks that I was. I provide them with a detailed description and wish them well. Finally back where I started, I see that I hiked about 5.9 miles, which includes my detour. A pretty easy trail that leads to an amazing view. Total worth it . . . especially since my trip was free of mountain lions.


No comments:

Post a Comment