Saturday, February 22, 2020

Bell Mountain (Towns County, Georgia)


I had hoped to get another good hike in today, but with the day getting late, I'll have to put that off and settle for exploring an urban curiosity near Hiawassee Georgia. At the top of Bell Mountain, the city has constructed an observation deck and over the years, the boulder piles that make up the top of the mountain have become a mecca for graffiti. 

The road leading to the summit parking area is very steep and only single lane, but that's why I own a jeep. Unfortunately, I can only go so far today. The park's gate is closed to vehicles from about a half mile from the summit. A number of other cars have parked here and I find a spot to park as well before heading up the rest of the way on foot. It's a very steep road, one of the steepest paved roads I've ever been on and is certainly making for a good workout. 


Finally arriving at parking area at the top, I begin to take some pictures of the graffiti-covered landscape. Unlike other areas that I have visited, there isn't much art here. It's much more of people painting their names and such. There are a few colorful sections, but overall it has the impression of a post-apocalyptic wasteland. I don't mind graffiti on man-made things such as the Krog Street Tunnel, but seeing this vandalism on natural surroundings like a mountaintop is disheartening. Signs indicate that painting is prohibited, but seem to have had little effect.


As I climb the steps to the observation deck, I'm a little surprised to see cars now starting to fill the upper parking lot. Another visitor mentions that the gate has been opened. Well, that's irritating after walking up this steep behemoth. Oh well, I needed the exercise anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment