Saturday, February 15, 2020

Toccoa Falls (Stephens County, Georgia)


Since moving to Georgia a few months ago, I've been surprised by the number of waterfalls in the area. While some are minor and none rival those in Yosemite Valley, there are several that are very impressive in their own right. One such waterfall is Toccoa Falls, on the campus of a small college named for it, just outside a township also sharing the name. On past trips, I have attempted to visit this waterfall, but the college periodically closes access to the falls for various reasons. The entire idea that a natural wonder can be "closed" is very dis-heartening to me and seems so counter to my idea of these sites belonging to all people, but regardless of how I personally feel about it, I'm bound to the rules of the college. Today, I will finally be able to see this impressive fall.

The college limits access by fencing off the trail and forcing visitors to pass through a visitors center and pay a meager two dollar fee before proceeding up the walking path just a couple of hundred yards to one of the more impressive waterfalls I've seen since moving to Georgia. With the high precipitation levels the area has received this winter, the flow over the falls is quite stunning today and unlike many waterfalls in the area, this is not a cascade, but a single drop of about 185'. The sunlight reflects off of this falls misty bottom to create a rainbow effect on this bright day. It's a very beautiful setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment