Saturday, February 22, 2020

Helton Creek Falls (Union County, Georgia)


My next stop for the day leads me to one of the many waterfalls in northern Georgia, Helton Creek Falls. The road approaching the waterfall parking area turns from pavement to gravel and soon becomes pretty rough and as I approach a low area, I'm a little surprised to see a creek flowing over the road. It's only about eighteen inches deep unless my eyes deceive me and while flowing well, doesn't appear hazardous in any way. My jeep makes short work of it as it climbs out of the other side.

As I continue a bit further, I encounter a couple in a Grand Cherokee cautiously staring at a second creek crossing. This one appears slightly deeper than the first, but again doesn't seem like too much of an obstacle for my jeep. I power through it without issue and soon arrive at the parking area above the waterfall.

Exiting the jeep, I encounter a young couple in a sedan and as we chat, he mentions that he nearly submerged his car in the creek and was afraid it wouldn't start. About that time, the Grand Cherokee pulls up and joins the conversation. They comment that I probably had no issue with the creek in my Rubicon and I nod in agreement. Before leaving, the young man mentions that the waterfall is quite stunning.


While its only a short hike down to the creek in the ravine below, the heavy rains have made the trail something of a muddy mess. Retain steps only worsen the situation by acting as pools to hold the muddy rain water. I maneuver and finally make my way down to the lower of the of two waterfalls. I'm able to climb down some steps and onto a damp rock just beside the creek with the waterfall pouring over a well-worn stone embankment. Oddly, it hits the creek and what was an angry waterfall almost immediately turns into a clam creek.

Further up the trail, an observation deck has been constructed to look out on the upper waterfall. This one flows more vertically over a cliff and drops probably about sixty feet before entering a large pool and continuing down to the lower fall. It's quite a site and definitely worth the trip. Besides, I always enjoy letting my jeep do jeep things.

No comments:

Post a Comment