Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Founders Grove (Humboldt County, California)

 

I'm on my way from Sacramento to the northern terminus of the Lost Coast Trail at the mouth of the Mattole River. The shuttle ride, organized by REI and managed by Lost Coast Adventures Tours, is a six hour trip to the start of a much richer journey. However as we drive along the Avenue of the Giants in Redwood Country, our driver, Conner, suggests stopping for a short hike to stretch our legs and take in the magnificence of these ancient behemoths. Founders Grove offers the perfect opportunity for my new friends (whom I will be backpacking with) and I.

After being in the van for four hours or so, getting out to stretch my legs is most welcomed. The conversation is great and the crew I'll be backpacking with seems to be comprised of great people. As we meander down the trail, the ladies in the group, for whom this is their first time seeing coastal redwoods, seem in awe of the trees' size. I can certainly understand why. This is not my first time seeing these titans, but I remember the sense of wonder I experienced on my first visit. We make our way around the well marked and well worn loop, past the 346 foot tall Founders Tree and through this lush redwood forest. The grove and this mighty tree are named for a group of conservationists that started the Save the Redwoods League in 1918. I'm thankful for their efforts as it saved these natural wonders from the lumber saws of progress.

Continuing on around the bend, we arrive at the fallen Dyerville Giant. At 376 feet tall, this magnificent specimen was once thought to be the tallest tree on earth. That is, until it was toppled by another tree colliding with it during a storm in 1991. The fallen titan now rests like a fortress wall in the green forests of Humboldt County. 

We still have a couple of hours to go before we arrive at our campsite and it's time to bid adieu to this incredible place and these monstrous examples of natures glory. My tracking app tells me we've hiked about 1.5 miles, which includes lots of meandering and looking around as we pass beneath these millennium old branches. We climb in the van and prepare for the next step of our multi-day adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment