Sunday, October 8, 2023

Autrey Mill (Gwinnett County, Georgia)

 

Time is short, but I decided to try to get out for a short hike this morning. For my trail, I chose to return to Autrey Mill, which is a pleasant little preserve just a few miles from my house. I tried to hike here a couple of months back, but the rain had other ideas and I didn't get to see the entire trail system. I'm not sure my time limitations will allow me to see the whole thing today either, but hopefully, I can see a bit more than the last time.

After parking my a car and passing through the various preserved structures that now serve as the visitor center, I quickly head down the Warsaw Trail toward Sal's Creek. I'm on vigilant lookout for joro spider webs that might be stretched across the trail. One of the things I hate the worst is walking face first into webs. I tend to wave a stick in front of me as I progress on days like this, but these trails are well maintained and very well traveled and after seeing that most of the joro spiders are content to be on the side of the trail, I decide to forgo my normal stick-waving ritual. 

Soon, I'm at the creek and take a moment to admire the foundation stones that remain from the old Autrey Mill. There's not much left, but I'm sure the local community depended on this site in decades past. From there, the trail hits a well built board walk and continues to run parallel to the creek for some distance. There are a few wooden structures built along the way for visitors. 

With the sound of cars ahead, I recognize the trail turning left and cutting back towards the visitor's center. There are a few trails that cut through the woods, but I'm sticking to the perimeter trail today. In the distance I hear leaves rustling and catch a glimpse of a couple of deer a short distance from me. It's always great to see nature doing it's thing out here.

Returning to my car, my app tells me that I've only hiked about 1.2 miles. That's not much at all, but my time is short and I have to get home. I'll have to settle for this for now. This is a beautiful little area and perhaps I'll bring my mother here sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment