Monday, May 13, 2019

Chimney Rock Loop (Capitol Reef National Park, Utah)


My next and final hike inside Capitol Reef National Park takes me to Chimney Rock, which is a pillar-like escarpment a couple of miles west of the turn-off to Fruit Campground. Arriving at the parking lot around 8:00 AM, there are only a couple of other cars here. I always appreciate a less-crowded trail. It's nice to be able to experience these idealistic and scenic places without the crowds. 

Leaving the parking lot, the trail passes around Chimney Rock before heading up a very steep trail to the top of the escarpment. I catch up with an elderly couple that had left the parking lot a few minutes before me and we discuss the better option for the loop. They decide to travel clockwise, while I go counter-clockwise. The upwards climb is pretty unrelenting here, but the views are absolutely breathtaking. 



As I arrive at the top of the escarpment, I'm welcomed with some views for Chimney Rock from a different angle. I snap a few more shots and move on. From there Chimney Rock itself will not be visible again until I return on the other side of the loop. The trail continues on around and at one point, I have an unbelievable view of a canyon cut by the Fremont River just south of there. There is even an overlook area, which the park service built a road to, but I can't imagine the view from way down there comes even close to the view before me from a few hundred feet above.

I continue on around and meetup with the couple I met earlier. The gentleman comments that we must be on the right track, before we wish each other well and continue on our respective paths. 



As the trail wraps around the plateau to the north side, more amazing desert views open up of an amazing red sandstone canyon with cliffs reaching for the sky. The tones of red and orange evoke thoughts of flames. The beauty of this place is truly divine. I'm very lucky to have a career and a family that allows me the freedom to visit such places. I hope each and every one of you are able to see some of these sites.

Finally arriving back at the jeep, I check my mileage, which sits at about 3.7 miles for this trail. I'm sad to leave this amazing place, but there are many other wonders out there to see and I will treasure every moment I'm able to spend in these amazing places. Carpe Diem!


No comments:

Post a Comment