Sunday, May 12, 2019

Wolfe Ranch Petroglyphs (Arches National Park, Utah)

 

While spending the day in Arches National Park, I decided to visit and hike a few areas that I haven't seen on past visits. Wolfe Ranch is near the trailhead to the view point for the Delicate Arch. The modest ranch was built in the 1880's by a civil war veteran and his eldest son. While the ranch is interesting, of more interest to me is the nearby petroglyph panel. Round trip, the hike from the parking lot to the panel is only about 0.6 miles, but it's well worth the effort. 


As I get older, my memory gets worse and as I walk towards the panel, I seem to remember being here at some point in the past. This is fifth or sixth trip to Arches and I must have visited this panel on a past visit, but I didn't remember the name. No worries though, it's a very nice panel, which was obviously made sometime after the 1600's, as some of the images are of riders on horseback. As we know this didn't happen until after the earlier explorers reached the new world and their horses escaped, it's reasonable to say the images were created sometime afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment