Monday, May 13, 2019

Rochester Rock Art Panel (Emery County, Utah)


My final stop along this journey takes me about an hour out of the way to the Rochester Rock Art Panel. I only learned of this panel of petroglyphs a few months ago, but reading of how extensive the panel is, I felt I need to visit the next time I was planning to be anywhere nearby. Leaving the highway, it's a short drive down a gravel road to a gravel parking area. Signs indicate this is the right place.

Being in the absolute middle of nowhere, I'm surprised to see another visitor returning to the car as I start down the trail. He tells me how awe-inspiring the panel is before he heads out. The trail leads part of the way down into a dry river canyon and then climbs back up a tall cliff-side above the canyon. As I turn the corner, I make my way along narrow path with a steep drop-off, but finally see the panel.


This is one of the most decorated petroglyph panels I have ever seen. There are hundreds of figures on this panel and many of them are quite detailed. From humanoid figures to a large rainbow-like image, this panel truly is amazing. It was a long drive to get here, but I feel it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment