Friday, May 31, 2019

Reno-Tahoe Odyssey 2019 (Lake Tahoe, Nevada and California)


Another Year; another RTO. I hadn't originally planned on running the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey this year, but the amazing people on my team needed an additional runner and I couldn't resist. It's an amazing event and my teammates are some of the best people I know. How could I refuse? I wasn't able to attend any of the pre-race events such as the practice runs or van decorating due to other commitments, but I know how easy it is to jump in and meet the new members of the team. This year, I was assigned the runner 2 position, giving me legs 2, 14, and 26 to complete. Legs 2 and 26 are listed as moderate, while 14 climbs up to Emerald Bay on the southern end of Lake Tahoe and is listed as one of the most difficult legs.

This year, we got a slightly earlier start time at 7:30 AM, as opposed to previous years when we started after 8:00 AM in most cases. This is good in that it will allow us to finish a bit earlier and hopefully, avoid some of the heat. Although the forecast is calling for warm (not hot) temperatures, anything above seventy-five degrees on Saturday afternoon is brutal. Additionally, finishing earlier, allows more time to enjoy what remains of the weekend.

The team met at Ali's (Van 1 captain) home in Sparks at 6:00 AM and we started loading up the vans. Several of our runners met last night to pick up the vans and decorate them with our trademark rainbow flashing lights and markers to give our two 15-passenger cargo vans that Nice Asphalt (our team name) character. I hadn't paid full attention to everyone that was on the team during the text conversations we had been having over the last couple of weeks, but I was a little surprised to learn that we have some very common names. In fact, we have two runners named Ali, two named Liz, and three named Mike (one of which is me). To celebrate this rather funny coincidence, someone wrote a hashtag on the van "#12runners8names", which I personally thought was pretty hilarious.

As the 24-ish runners that compromise the double-team of Nice Asphalt and Nice Asphalt II (a couple of people were going to meet us later in the day), start loading up supplies, food, personal effects, etc. onto their respective vans, I get the opportunity to meet the new runners that have joined the teams this year. All of them are friendly and seem like great additions. This core team, Nice Asphalt, has been around for eight or nine years now and has grown into a large family. This is my fourth year running with the team and I'm lucky to have found such a great group of people. RTO teams are normally comprised of twelve runners, who each run three legs along the 178-mile route. Nice Asphalt is actually a double team. We technically run two complete RTO routes simultaneously, which means that every runner has a partner. There are several advantages to this, not the least of which is having company to embrace the pain with on the more challenging and on the night-time legs. It does mean more sweaty, stinky people in the van though, but that's part of what the RTO is all about.


Once all of the gear was loaded, we packed ourselves into the van. My buddy, Mike (yes, another one) normally drives and I generally navigate for him, and then drive while he runs his legs. Everyone is in good spirits and I tell the team they should take a deep breath of the fresh air inside the cabin, as it will only go downhill from here. The two vans make their way to Wingfield Park along the Truckee River in downtown Reno, where the starting line festivities are under way. The relay race is organized in such a way that most teams will finish in or around a four hour window on Saturday afternoon. To accomplish this, team start times are assigned based upon their projected time necessary to run the 178-mile course. This means slower teams, such as ours, start earlier in the day, while faster teams, will start later. This has a number of logistical advantages for the race organizers. It also means the celebration at the end can be attended by more people.

After taking a few starting line pictures, our first two runners Ren and Heather, line up with other teams starting at the same time as us. Eric, the director of the event, announces each of the teams in turn, and then with countdown from 10, our odyssey has begun. Last year, I was runner one and had the honor of starting off the event and so, I know this first part of the course pretty well. While our runners make their way along the river, we load ourselves back into van 1, wish van 2 well ad they head off to relax for a few hours, and begin follow our runners to provide whatever support they may need along their journey - water, clothing, energy snacks, etc.


As our first two runners get within roughly a half-mile of the exchange point, van 1 parks and Mike (the third Mike) and I start stretching and prepare to run our leg 2. In the true spirit of the event, Ren and Heather skip their way to the finish line and slap the wrist bracelet (baton) onto Mike and I's respective wrist. Suddenly, we're off. Mike's pretty fast and while I've been training hard this year and met some personal time goals, I've been running at lower elevations and on mostly flat courses. It takes me the first mile and a half or so to find my groove, but once I get it, I'm feeling pretty good. By this point though, Mike has opened up a pretty good lead on me. I encounter the van a couple of times and my teammates cheer both of us on and offer water, but I'm in the zone now and want to finish my leg. The only section that gives me trouble is a short, but steep uphill right alongside I-80, but once past this, I cruise into the next exchange point. Having finished my 4.5 miles at a high-nine minute pace, I pass the 'baton' off to Ali and Liz as they start leg 3.


We rotate runners like this through the first six legs. About the time we start leg 4, we text van 2 and provide an approximate time for the van swap. As our runners 6 near the area south of the Boca Reservoir, our two vans and all twenty-four runners find parking in the incredibly crowded lot. All van exchanges (6-7, 12-13,18-19,24-25, and 30-31). It's amazing to see all of the large white passenger vans and the thousands of people at the exchanges. The event organizers normally provide music and some cases food. At this exchange, they have a taco kitchen set up and hundreds of people take advantage of it. It's a very party-like atmosphere and everyone is in good spirits. The temperatures thus far couldn't have been better, ranging from about 45 degrees this morning to about 65 now.

After we trade out with the other van, and see their runners 7 off, we (van 1) head to a campground lodge that one of our teammates shares in. We used this facility last year as well. It's a nice relaxing community center with TV's couches, and conveniently, shower rooms. Mike and a couple others comment how unaccustomed to showering during RTO they are and feel they are being spoiled by the planning logistics of this team. They're happy to have this problem. As for me, I've only ever run with Nice Asphalt and so, I've only known this level of organization, but I certainly do appreciate the efforts our captains put in to make this event such a success.

After stuffing our faces and taking turns in the shower facilities, we try to relax for the short time we have. We have a total time of about three and a half hours, but it goes by fast. I find a couch in an adjoining room and doze off for an hour or so. It's not long though before we get word from van 2 that they are an hour or so away from the next van exchange. With that, we start packing up and getting ready to meet them at Homewood on the western shore of Lake Tahoe. It's about a twenty-five minute drive from the campground and we need to get moving pretty quickly, but it was still nice to have a break, brief as it was.

Mike pulls the big beast of a van into a gravel lot at Homewood just as the Sun begins to dip below the mountains behind Homewood. As with the last van exchange, there are hundreds of people here and the crowd's mood is still one of excitement. As our runners approach the exchange, I feel a few rain drops, which cause a bit of concern. Running at night, in the rain, at 6,800' elevation would not be ideal, but I brought a poncho just in case. With the bracelet exchange, Ren and Heather are off again. Our team tries to make a game of the whole event and to help with that, our captains put together a photo-scavenger hunt. We try to knock out a few of the items while supporting our runners. One of the challenges is to recreate the iconic cover of the Beatles White Album. At one point, we find a crosswalk that will suit our purposes and line in Beatles style for the photo. It's all a lot of fun.


The rain is holding off during leg 13, but shortly after the exchange and while Mike and I are making our way up the brutal leg 14 (listed as one of the most difficult sections) towards Emerald Bay, the dark clouds finally give way and it begins to rain. It's not a heavy rain, but steady. Before starting my run, I had prepped my poncho in the van and next time I see my teammates, I ask them for it. Our vans are always easy to see along the route, as we sort of pioneered the idea of rainbow lights on the outside of the vans, which has been copied by many other teams over the years. I see the lights in the lights in the distance and once I reach them, I put the lightweight plastic poncho, which is not much more than a garbage bag with a hood and arm slits, over my head. So here I am, with a headlamp, a flashing wrist band, a blue rain poncho, running up hill in the dark. It must have been an amusing sight to see, but I'm actually pretty glad I had the poncho, as I would have been pretty cold 6.7 miles out here without it in the rain.


It's very dark by the time Mike and reach the next exchange and hand off to Ali and Liz again. So far, we've got about 15 'kills' between us. Kills translate to runners passed along the course. Some teams make a big deal about it. We don't, but it's still nice to know that we aren't the slowest runners out there. We continue to support our runners through the next four legs, but the exhaustion and sleep-deprivation are starting to show. By the time, we reach Raley's in South Lake Tahoe for the next van exchange, we're all pretty tired. Somehow it got out that today is my birthday and Katie from van 2 went into the Starbucks here, which stays open all night for the event, to get me a cake-pop for my birthday. It was very thoughtful, but I want to wait a bit to eat it, since I'm going to try to get a short nap at our next stop.

Those of us in Van 1 see our runners start leg 19 and then we head off to Carson City. We've reserved three rooms at the Marriott and while we still won't have much time before the next van exchange at leg 24-25, our hotel is less than a mile from the exchange point. It's around 2 AM when we get checked in, but that's the perfect time for a quick shower and an hour or so of nap time. When Ali calls my cell to let me know it's time to head out to the exchange point, I mistakenly think it is my alarm click in my groggy state and hang up on her. I quickly realize the sad truth though and stir my teammates scattered about the room. We quickly pack up and reload our gear and ourselves into the van.

It's not quite sunrise when we reach the Walmart parking lot, where the exchange point is, but there is enough light to see clearly, though it is very, very cold. I suspect it's just my body reacting to loosing the nice warm bed I had been in mere minutes ago. Ren and Heather get ready and as our runners 12 turn the corner and make the exchange, once again, we're off. We wish Van 2 well and begin our next set of six legs which will take us all the way into Virginia City.


When it's time for Mike and I to go again, for leg 26, the sun has now climbed over the eastern mountains and it's beginning to warm up just a touch. Though I'm exhausted, I'm feeling pretty strong this morning. I decide to try and keep up with Mike on this leg. I think he accommodated me by slowing down a little bit, but either way I manage to hang with him for the entire leg. I've actually been pretty excited about this one, as it takes a detour to allow us to run right past the Nevada State Capitol building, which I think is pretty cool. As we approach the other Walmart in Carson City at the end of our 5.2 mile leg, I think to myself how glad I am to have my running done for the event. I think Mike feels the same way, as he crosses the exchange line and immediately heads into the store. I had assumed he was wanting to use the restroom, which he may have done, but in true Nice Asphalt style, he returns with a 12-pack of Pacifico Lager. I don't care that it's 7:00 AM or that it's a very cheaply made beer, it tastes damn fine this morning.


As before, we support our runners through the next legs, the final three of which are pretty brutal as they climb up into the Virginia Range towards silver country. Some of my teammates show their true strength as they destroy these steep hills. The other Ali and Liz (running leg 29) estimated it would take them an hour and a half, as the course is very steep and they are not very experienced runners. I tell them, I suspect it will take them no more than an hour and fifteen and even that is being generous. It's getting hot and we do our best to keep them hydrated. Ali, who is running her first organized race today, get sick on the way up, but shows her character when she pushes on, even though many of us are ready and willing to hop out and take some of her miles for her. She's a strong lady and I'm proud of her. When they finally reach the exchange, only fifty-four minutes have passed. Ali and Liz both bust into tears of pride and accomplishment. They've just completed their legs of the RTO. Way to go ladies!!

As Mike and Nick, our runners 6, make their way up the most difficult part of this section of the race, we head into Virginia City, where van 2 is patiently awaiting us in front of the Bucket of Blood Saloon - a fitting place for the exchange. We hand off and now with our van 1 legs completed, we head into the saloon for some well-deserved adult refreshment. It's packed in here, as all the teams have the same idea, but we manage to find a table big enough for the twelve of us. After a couple of cold beers, we're on our way back into Reno. We decide to stop at the Sunrise Cafe and load our gullets with a big breakfast.

Before our food gets out, Ali gets a call from van 2. There's trouble. Apparently, they have accidentally knocked over a stop sign and must wait for the police to arrive and take the report. That wouldn't be a huge deal, but it means the van 2 runners are stuck and can't get to their next exchange points. Ali foregoes breakfast and takes the van to save the day. Not being able to do much to help, the rest of us finish our breakfast and then walk over to a nearby Starbucks, where we crash for a short time. After an hour or so, Ali returns to pick us up. Van 2 is back on the road and from here on out, we begin double van support of our runners. It's the hottest part of the day and we need to keep them cool.


We continue leapfrogging the two vans offering cool water and spray-downs to our active runners through the last few legs of the race. Finally, about a mile from the finish line, we leave them and find a parking spot at Idlewild Park in downtown Reno. Mike is somehow able to squeeze this big van into a parallel spot not far from the finish line. We quickly hop out of the van and make our way to the end of the course. As a tradition, we try to have all of our runners cross the finish line together, with the active runners leading the way. As Zo and Tosh approach, we take off, but they aren't satisfied cruising in and begin to sprint for the finish. We do our best to keep up and finally Nice Asphalt has completed another Reno-Tahoe Odyssey. Way to go team.

We grab our finish-line beer, our finishers' medals, and then line up under the arch for our picture to be taken. It's been another great year with the best team in the world. 178 miles completed (twice). I'm so happy to be part of this team and I am grateful they allow me to run with them year-after-year. We say our goodbyes and thank Jamie and Ali for all of their hard work in organizing the event, and then we load back into the vans and head for Ali's house. We have to quickly clean up and unpack the vans to get the back to the rental company. It should take longer than the hour or so we have to get all of that done, but it's amazing what a little teamwork can accomplish. See you next year Nice Asphalt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment