Sunday, October 24, 2021

Ath Half - Half Marathon (Clarke County, Georgia)

I've been trying to get myself back in running shape, but it's been a hard road. Between breaking a finger last year and a horrific case of chigger bites, I've had a few set backs that have delayed my schedule at various times. That said, I've still be able to sprinkle in the occasional race this year. I just haven't been able to stay as consistent as years past and it certainly shows in my times. This morning, I'm running the Ath Half. This is a half-marathon course through the college town of Athens, GA.

My alarm sounded at 4:30 AM this morning and I have to admit, I had second thoughts about getting up so early just to punish myself, but I managed to roll out of bed and begin getting ready for the run. Athens is nearly an hour east of my home near Atlanta, but the drive is pretty easy. I found a parking spot and was at the start line forty-five minutes before the races scheduled start time at 7:30 AM. These sunrise starts are a little problematic for me as my sunglasses, which I run with are prescription, while my normal glasses are very loose fitting and wouldn't be conducive to running. This means that I tend to walk around without wearing my glasses before the start, which makes every thing a little fuzzy in the distance. Add to that, the brisk air of a late October morning. All good though; I'll persevere.

As the start time approaches, all of the runners get into the corrals. I don't know the exact count, but there must be at least a couple of thousand runners for this event. It's a fairly popular one. With the sound of an air-horn, we're off. The large crowd of half-marathoners makes a number of turns as we weave our way through downtown Athens. The race route is clearly marked and volunteers and law enforcement do a wonderful job of controlling the traffic flow to protect the race participants. 

I start to settle into my pace and mentally get myself set for the next couple of hours. Signs held by crowds all along the way offer words of encouragement. The best that I saw was "Don't Half Ath your Ath Half!", which got a giggle out of me. Water stations and restrooms are spaced at every two mile mark, which is terrific and I take advantage of the restroom at the two mile mark. 


As I approach the four mile mark, I see a family in their front yard with signs indicating they are giving away beer to runners. I see a number of pitchers out on the table and some young children handing it out to interested runners as we pass. Loving beer as I do, I'm almost obligated to have one. As a seven or eight year-old hands me a small Dixie cup of cold beer, I can hear him ask for my ID, even through my head phones. With the white of my full beard clearly demonstrating my legality, the parent laughs and waves me on. That said though, being "carded" by such a youngster was one of the highlights of the day. 

Again at the six mile mark, I decide to relieve my bladder. Perhaps it was that shot of beer. Either way, I loose at least five minutes here waiting in line to use one of the two porta-potties. With that quick pit stop, I'm on my way and won't have to go again until the finish line. The next several miles take us through the hill laden outskirts of town and finally through the campus of the University of Georgia. 

As I approach the finish line, I realize that it is actually located inside the football stadium. We first run past the finish and then make a lap around the inside of the stadium before returning to and finally crossing through the archway. I'm exhausted, but I ran slightly better than I thought I would. My finishing chip time is 2:38:41, which is a far cry from my best times just two and a half years ago when I ran two sub-two-hour half-marathons. I'm satisfied with the time though, as I was expecting around a 2:45. After enjoying some of the races supplied snacks and refreshment, I relax for just a little bit and listen to a pretty decent funk band playing at the finish. Now it's time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment