Sunday, October 10, 2021

Looking Glass Falls (Transylvania County, North Carolina)


 I attended a terrific craft beer festival in Asheville, NC yesterday and being responsible, I stayed at a nearby hotel last night so that I didn't have to drive after imbibing so much outstanding beer. Since I'm driving back to Atlanta this morning, I figured I would take the scenic route and hit a couple of waterfalls on my way. It will be a good way to stretch my legs during the three hour drive.

The first is Looking Glass Falls, which isn't far from the Blue Ridge Highway. Several vehicles parked along side the road near leave little doubt as to where the waterfall is located. There really isn't a hike to this one, but more a series of observation decks accessed by well constructed wooden steps. The waterfall itself is magnificently picturesque. As Looking Glass Creek tumbles approximately sixty feet over the cliff, it fans out into a beautiful water feature. Almost perfectly framed by the cliff walls and foliage from the observation decks, this is one of the most gorgeous waterfalls I've encountered. While no where near the biggest or tallest, it may be one of the most perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment