Sunday, October 10, 2021

Moore Cove Waterfall (Transylvania County, North Carolina)

 

The second waterfall I will be visiting today is at Moore Cove, which is only a mile or so up the winding mountain road from my last stop at Looking Glass Falls. Here too, a number of cars a re parked alongside the road allowing their owners to visit the natural wonder. This one, however unlike it's neighbor, does require a short hike through the woods to visit. 

The trail is very well worn leaving little doubt of the correct path. It starts out by crossing a bridge over what I believe is Looking Glass Creek once again, but I may be incorrect and this could be a tributary. Either way, the trails heads slightly uphill from there. Recent rains have left the surface a little muddy, but still in pretty good condition. This trail is pretty popular and I pass a lot of families as I make my way. For better or worse, my hiking pace is much faster than the average site-seer. 

Arriving at the waterfall, erosion has carved out an area behind and under the drop. While it's possible to get back there, I decide to stay dry and avoid the muddy section today. The flow of this water passing over the cliff is much less than my previous stop, but it's still an impressive site as the small stream descends fifty or so feet to the creek below. I take a few pictures before turning around and heading back for my jeep. I still have a couple hours of driving to do before I get home. This little 1.4 mile hike was a nice, relaxing break though and to see a couple of beautiful waterfalls is always a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment