Sunday, October 3, 2021

Simpsonwood (Fulton County, Georgia)


Wanting to get some miles in today, but not wanting to drive too far since I just got back from a multi-day backpacking trip on the west coast, I decided to join the Atlanta Outdoor Club for a hike of Simpsonwood. Prior to the event list, I had never heard of this park, which made it even more appealing.

Meeting the group at the main parking area, we did a quick round of introductions and then hit the trail just a couple of minutes after the scheduled time. The trail enters the woods almost immediately and seems to be pretty well-traveled. As we make our way, I note several large joro spiders and their expansive webs. This recently introduced invasive species from Asia is making a particularly strong appearance this year in this part of the country. The outskirts of my own yard is filled with them. I chat with a couple of the other hikers about these invaders, which seem fairly unknown to most. I only know about them because I've been doing some research since noticing their appearance in the last couple of months. 

The trail meanders through the woods and in a couple of places runs parallel to the Chattahoochee River. A few spots right by the river have partially washed out, making them a little perilous, but the worst that could happen is a splashdown into the river only a couple of feet below. Everyone makes it past without incident though.

Stopping occasionally to ensure the group is keeping up, the trip leader holds us to a solid pace, which I appreciate. At one point, we go off trail for a short distance to connect to another trail. The leader catches his foot on a fallen tree branch and does a gentle face-plant into the grass and fallen leaves. Thankfully, he seems okay. I and several other check with him, but all seems well and he's ready to continue, only having injured his pride a little.

At one point, we come across a stone maze that has been laid out using brick-sized stones. It looks to have been here a very long time and while I don't have the time to go through the maze, I can certainly appreciate the idea of someone putting this together. 

As we round the final turn before heading back to the parking lot, I wish my fellow hikers a fond farewell and thank the organizer for his efforts. It looks like I got in about 5.2 miles along this gem of a trail. While it's very similar to other trails in and around Atlanta, this one was very nice in that it seems somewhat unknown and therefore not super crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment