Friday, October 29, 2021

Gopher Tortoise Trail (Cook County, Georgia)

 

My next stop en route to the southern Georgia sees me stop at Reed Bingham State Park. After locating the small trailhead, I park the jeep and head out to explore the Gopher Tortoise Trail, which is only a short walk in the woods. The ecosystem is subtropical here, with palmettos, pine trees, and Spanish Moss all over the woods. 

The trail makes a short half-mile loop through the area and the surface is a combination of sand and dry earth. On the first half, I don't spot any burrows, but returning on the other part of the loop, I finally locate a few. The endangered gopher tortoise digs out large holes in the sandy soil and uses them for shelter. When they move on, other creatures take up residence. I first saw these holes while visiting a set of Native American mounds in western Georgia a couple of years ago and I was later surprised to learn their source, but now I know exactly what I'm looking for and locate about five on the walk back to the jeep. I don't see any of the shelled construction crews though. Perhaps they have retreated deeper into the den or have simply moved on for green pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment