Friday, June 7, 2024

Blue Ghost Firefly Twilight Tour (Transylvania, North Carolina)

 

Like last year, I decided to attend one of the Blue Ghost Firefly events at the Cradle of Forestry near Asheville, North Carolina. Blue ghosts are a rare species of firefly that only live in remote forested areas of Appalachia. Unlike their cousins, these fireflies emit a bluish-gray light and often maintain it for a minute or two instead of flashing. Each year, the Cradle of Forestry offers evening hikes on the paved trails around their facility to view these spectacular creatures.

The event started with little storytelling in the facilities amphitheater. As we listened to the tale of a lost boy lead home by the blue ghosts, the sunset faded and darkness settled on the forest around us. At around 9:15 PM, we headed into the woods along the paved path. Attendees are asked to only use flashlights with a red filter to preserve everyone's night vision. I did my best to avoid using a light at all, though I did have one in my pocket.

I walk a short distance to a little forested cove that I remember being a pretty good spot last year and just wait for the magic to begin. While I wait, I begin chatting with a young lady from Denver. Together we spot, a number of the elusive little critters. While both genders flash, it's only the males that fly and they use this ability to hover over the ground in search of a mate. Over the next twenty minutes or so, we see more and more of the eerie blue specs of light. We chat while we're watching. She and her family have come all the way from Denver just for this event.

*Note - photo courtesy of Google

Realizing that we've been here for a while, we move onto another section of the trail and experience the highlight of the tour. The trail is very dark and it's almost impossible to see other attendees until they are almost in your face. This happens a few times along our route. As we enter another dark cove, one of the most magical things I have ever seen occurs. We are greeted by a collection of multiple species of fireflies flashing like a laser light show. Not only do we have the blue ghosts, but there are also the much more common yellow species. There have to be a couple hundred of them just in this little area and the light show they put on is like nothing I've ever seen. My new friend, Danielle, describes it as something out of Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. I can definitely relate. It's a truly spectacular natural show that we are witnessing.

After this stunning event, I decide I should leave and let her enjoy it with her family. We say our goodbyes and I continue along into the dark along the paved path. I spot a few more blue ghosts, but as it is getting late and I have another hour to drive to get to my hotel in Asheville, I decide to head out. What an amazing experience though!

No comments:

Post a Comment