Sunday, August 30, 2020

Charleston Park (Forsyth County, Georgia)

 

One of the meetup groups I often venture out with, enjoys doing hikes on Sunday afternoons. This week, the chosen trail was around Charleston Park on the northern shores of Lake Lanier just a few miles from my house. I arrived at the trail a few minutes early and began chatting with several members of the group that I'm starting to consider friends.

Once the majority of folks arrived, we did a quick round of introductions and then we were off. This group tends to favor hikes that double as mountain bike trails, and that's a good description of this one. As we make several interconnected loops around the park, we have a few views of the lake and the creeks that feed it. Interestingly, Lake Lanier like all lakes in Georgia are man-made. By damning up the Chattahoochee River and several other waterways, the shallow valley was flooded to create the lake.

Al along the way, I enjoy conversing with different members of the group and after about 6.6 miles we return to the trail head. I can't say this was one of my favorite hikes, but its always good to get out and get a few miles in with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment