Saturday, August 22, 2020

Clingmans Dome (Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Tennessee)

For my first hike of the weekend, I chose to walk to the top of the observation deck of Clingmans Dome. This summit is the highest in the park, the highest point in Tennessee, the highest along the famous Appalachian Trail, and the third highest in the eastern United States. As I've recently started tracking my visits to the highest summits in all fifty states, it seemed only logical to visit this one while camping in the park.

As expected this high point is more of a tourist destination than I would like. After a six or seven mile drive along Clingmans Dome Road, I reach a large and nearly full parking lot. It seems everyone wants to touch the sky today.

I quickly find a parking spot and make my way up the paved trail. After about three-quarters of a mile, I reach the observation deck, which snakes around like a rattlesnake to a large platter on top, which provides views in all directions over the treeline. For my personal tastes, this is far to much development. I would prefer to leave the summit in its natural state, but the masses have over-ruled me on this one.

From the top, the expansive views sprawl out in every direction. Rolling green hills and mountains extend as far as the eye can see, and a thick layer of clouds just above adds some majesty to the image. It is quite spectacular.

After spending a few minutes up there with the crowds, I return to my jeep and head out in search of more solitude. I'm sure there are some opportunities for that in this magnificent place.

No comments:

Post a Comment