Wednesday, August 5, 2020

West Palisades Trail (Cobb County, Georgia)


I truly appreciate that my job offers me the flexibility to get out and do a short hike during the week now and then. I try not to take advantage of it, but when I saw one of the local groups post an 8:00 AM hike along the West Palisades Trail in the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area, it seemed like a good time to stretch my legs. Leaving the house around 7:10 AM, my phone indicates I should arrive at the trail head at about 7:45 AM. Perfect!

Unfortunately, traffic in greater Atlanta is unpredictable and often the stuff of nightmares. As I approached the major interchange I was to take, Google Maps decided to reroute me due to an accident. New expected arrival time . . . 8:04 AM. Gah . . . I'm going to be late now and I hate being that guy. I called the group leader to let her know and apologized. I always try to be very diligent about arriving early and not forcing others to wait on me, but traffic took that ability away from me. 

Finally arriving at the trailhead, the small group is gathered around the bulletin board waiting for me. I quickly grab my water and walk over, apologizing as I approach. I'm sure they were annoyed with me, but they didn't show it and offered understanding of the local traffic woes.
The hike itself is an extremely easy one with only a couple of slight uphill sections. Along the way, we are offered some excellent views of the river, which is quite brown and muddy today due to some heavy rains that came through the area yesterday. I have a few conversations with the others in the group and overall, a very enjoyable time. While nothing spectacular, this was a nice quick 4.2 miles and a great way to spend a Wednesday morning before starting work.

No comments:

Post a Comment