Monday, August 24, 2020

Hickory Nut Falls (Rutherford County, North Carolina)

 

While spending a couple of days in Asheville, NC partaking of the local craft breweries, I had to get a few hikes. Besides, most of the tap rooms don't open until at least noon. This morning, I decided to drive the twenty or so miles to Chimney Rock State Park and hike to Hickory Nut Falls, which was made famous for appearing in the Hollywood blockbuster, "The Last of the Mohicans". I visited this park with my wife a few years ago, but this trail was closed at the time.

Departing the main parking lot on the Four Seasons Trail, I make my way through the woods. The park offers a shuttle service to cover this part of the hike, which has a pretty steep and steady climb to it, but I always want the exercise. As the state charges a $17 entrance fee for the park, I don't feel bad in mentioning that this trail could definitely use some maintenance. Still, I arrive at the junction with the Hickory Nut Falls Trail without incident, after ascending a set of eighty or so wooden steps. As short distance further and I arrive at the observation platform at the base of the mighty waterfall.

Creating a curtain of water over the 350' foot granite cliff face, Hickory Nut Falls is one of the tallest waterfalls in the eastern United States. It actually is a quite a beautiful waterfall, and has a number of cascades going down the mountain. Additionally, it's interesting to watch small surges of water depart the precipice and then cascade down to the tiny imperfections and cliffs below, again bouncing around like as if on a plinko board.

After a short time, I head back to my jeep, humming the tune of "The Gael" by Dougie Maclean, which was later adapted and orchestrated to become the primary theme of the movie. The total hike was only about 2.8 miles, but seeing a beautiful waterfall such as this makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment