Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Mount Mitchell (Yancey County, North Carolina)

 

My final hike while staying in Asheville, NC will be to the top of Mount Mitchell, which is the highest summit in North Carolina, and the highest point in the eastern mainland United States. To reach the summit parking lot, requires a drive along the famous and majestic Blue Ridge Highway, which I will be touring extensively later this year.

For today though, I'll make due with the short drive to the parking lot and a leisurely walk up the paved trail to the observation deck at the summit. Much like Clingmans Dome, which I visited a couple of days ago, this site is far too touristy for my taste, but it's still a bucket list item, after having set reaching the highest point in each state as a bucket list item for myself.

The park has only just opened and so, I have the summit pretty much to myself. Unfortunately, it's so early, the morning fog is obstructing any chance of seeing the rolling hills of Appalachia and so, I will have to settle for what I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment