Sunday, September 22, 2024

Otter Falls (Watauga County, North Carolina)

 

After a decent night's sleep at my hotel in Newland, I'm ready for the next adventure. The focus of my trip is Grandfather Mountain, but as the gates don't open until 9:00 AM, I decided to visit the nearby Otter Falls first. It's only a few minutes drive to the trailhead and I arrive to find only one other car in the parking lot. 

The trail is actually pretty rugged at first, full of roots and heading steeply downhill. Soon though, it eases up. There is something of a tangle of trails here though and I'm forced to use my mapping app to determine the best route to the waterfall. I get there without too much difficulty. A small deck sits above the creek as Otter Falls flows over a large boulder separated mostly into two small trickles. I imagine this waterfall is more impressive after a good rain, but for today, it's less so. The hike back up gets me breathing a little bit, but I arrive back at the car without any issue and now with it being nearly time for the gates to open, it's time to head to my main focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment