Sunday, September 15, 2024

Sassafras Mountain (Pickens County, South Carolina)


I started a bucket list item a few years ago to stand atop the highest point in all fifty states. While some of them, like Denali in Alaska are going to be quite challenging, others are relatively easy. On my way home from Asheville, NC, I decided to check Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina off my list. It was only a short detour on my way home. At only 3,554 feet tall, it's hardly as impressive as many of the other high points, but may still offer some nice views.

From the parking area, it's only a short walk to the observation tower atop the high point. There are a few other people here admiring the view and probably checking it off of their lists as well. The border between North and South Carolina runs right through the summit and this is indicated on the flooring surface of the observation tower. Looking in any direction, the Appalachian Mountains stretch out to the horizon with their purplish-bluish-greenish hue. The famous Foothills Trail, which I hope to backpack someday also runs through this area. 

After taking a few pictures, I decided it's time to finish my drive home. Though, this little mountain isn't as tall as many others on the list, it still offers some nice scenery and I'm glad I can now check that box on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment