Saturday, October 3, 2020

Devil's Courthouse (Transylvania County, North Carolina)

 

My first real stop while driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway is an overlook referred to as the Devil's Courthouse, which is only about 47 miles from the southern terminus. I arrived early enough to see the sun rising over the mountain known by this name. Apparently, the mountain was once thought to be the home of a giant named Judaculla in Cherokee myth.

Leaving my jeep in the parking lot, I hike the half-mile or so trail up to to the overlook. The first part is simply along the road, but the trail soon enters the woods and a very steep climb up to a landing on the rock face. A stone retaining wall offers some protection from falling and a sundial-like protrusion rises from the area to mark the spot. The view from here is outstanding. I can see for many, many miles looking southward. 

While the view is great, time is short and I have a lot of exploring to do today. I quickly return to my jeep the way I came and get back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment