Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Rock House (Hocking County, Ohio)

Rock House is the final place I plan to visit during my trip through the Hocking Hills of central Ohio. Unlike some of the other "caves" in the area, such as Ash Cave, this one is a true cave in the fullest sense, though it is shaped unlike any cave I have ever visited. 

From the second of two parking lots, I follow the trail through a thickly wooded area as it descends gentle down the side of the black hand sandstone cliff that contains the Rock House. I'm able to enter the cave through only a couple of the seven windows that being dim light into the large cave room, which is approximately 200' long by 30' wide by 20' tall. Much like the other areas of Hocking Hills, this one is very popular and several other visitors explore the cave's room while I'm trying to take some decent pictures. I manage to get a few.

Leaving the cave on the posted one-way trail, I first descend a steep staircase to a creek bed below the cliff before heading back up an even steeper trail that returns me to the first parking lot and then the second, where I left the jeep. The hike here was probably only about a mile, but I didn't bother to track it as I knew it was short. It was an enjoyable visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment