Sunday, October 4, 2020

Harkening Hill and Johnson Farm (Bedford County, Virginia)

 

Getting an early start on this, my second day, exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway and some of the hikes and interesting sites along it's length, I'm on the road at daybreak. Originally, I had planned to hike to Apple Orchard Falls this morning as my first hike, but after reviewing the trail, I was concerned it may take more time than I had allotted and so, I began looking for alternatives. The trail I chose is a loop hike to the summit of one of the three Peaks of Otter, Harkening Hill.


It's still very early when I reach the trailhead parking lot, which doubles as a visitor center for the Parkway. The only other car here at this early hour belongs to an NPS employee who is busy servicing the restrooms. The trail departs directly behind the facility and after a couple of short switchbacks, makes its way up the very steep southern face of of the small mountain. The dew has settled and the morning chill is just starting to lift, making this a terrific morning hike. Further, I have the trail entirely to myself. There isn't another soul in sight.

I admit to getting a little winded as I work my way around a ridge and then double-back towards the summit. There are some really steep sections here, though the trail is well worn and easy to follow. As I pass numerous natural stone fortresses, I feel ancient eyes following my every step. This forest is old and its spirits speak to me. I somehow feel very much at peace here. Having done some of my own genealogy research, I know that some of my ancestors lived not far from this place. Perhaps it is their watchful eyes upon me now. It's comforting.


Reaching the summit of Harkening Hill, I note the sign listing the elevation as 3,300' or so. Unfortunately, the last couple of digits are worn off and difficult to read. I take a couple of minutes here on top to catch my breath and absorb the view from atop the boulders resting here. I can see many miles of undulating hills to the north and northeast.


A short distance from the summit, a side trail leads to Balanced Rock, or so the sign tells me. I decided to investigate. It's a steep descent, but when I arrive at the wonder just a couple of hundred yards from the main trial, I find it lives up to it's name. Here a large, car sized boulder, rests stably on a much smaller pedestal - perfectly balanced.


Heading back down the backside of the mountain on my way to the Johnson Farm, my attention is grabbed by a large number of ravens squawking loudly above me. Not just a couple of them. I can here at least a dozen voices above and they are very upset about something. Perhaps, this is why a group of their kind is referred to as a 'murder'. I continue on, but I will remain on alert in case their calls were a warning of some danger ahead.

After a mile or so, I reach the fork and take the left trail to the Johnson Farm, which I know nothing about, but when I arrive, I learn the farm was first established as part of a small community on this mountain back in 1766. Signs provided information and a couple of friendly park service volunteers are busy with their daily chores, preserving the farm. Apparently, there were several more structures at one time, but now only a few remain, including the main farmhouse and a couple of barns.


Completing the Loop and returning to the parking lot, I've hiked 4.1 miles on this little early morning hike and while a hill and a pioneer farmhouse may not sound all that interesting, I have to say that this really was an outstanding hike for me. I can't really explain why beyond what I've stated here already, but there was just something familiar and comfortable about this trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment