Sunday, October 4, 2020

Wigwam Falls (Rockbridge County, Virginia)

 

My next and final stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway is a small waterfall just above the road called Wigwam Falls. It's not really a hike as it's less than 200 yards from the pavement, but it's still an interesting stop. The path first passes over a small railroad bridge. A sign describes an logging railroad that once existed here and ran some fifty miles delivering timber to the sawmills. This section has been reconstructed and certainly adds some character to the stop.

Above the railroad, the waterfall cascades over moss-covered boulders embedded deeply in the earth. Its not a massive waterfall, but the setting makes it quite appealing to the eye. While there isn't a lot of flow today, I imagine this would be even more stunning during or just after a heavy rain. I perch myself on top of a rock in the stream below the falls for a couple of shots before heading back to my jeep to continue my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment