Saturday, October 3, 2020

Linville Falls (Burke County, North Carolina)

 

My next stop and final for the day is Linville Falls, which is the subject of a North Carolina state park. As with most parks, this one is incredibly busy and it takes a while for me to find a reasonable parking spot. Again, owning a jeep comes in handy as I can often find parking where other cars dare not tread. As I make my way through the crowded parking lot and down the trail towards the waterfall, I note that only about twenty percent of the many visitors are wearing masks (though I count myself among the minority here). Perhaps that says something.

The trail is mostly gravel and is obviously designed for the heavy traffic this park must often see. After a couple of switchbacks, I find a set of stone steps that descend to an area overlooking the first of three sections of this waterfall area. This section contains twin falls, each about twenty feet tall and dividing the waters of the Linville river pretty evenly between them. The water flows from here into a large pool before plunging between large stones on the other side of the landing area. I'm not able to get a great view from this angle, but I can imagine this section being something like a bobsleigh track cut like a gorge through the rocks.

While I'm not able to access it, I understand there is a third and final section that is home to a 45' drop for the water. From what I've read, the indigenous peoples that lived here once used this section as an form of execution for prisoners. In more recent times, no one is know to have survived the plunge, save one kayaker in 2010.

After taking in the spectacle for a bit, I make my way through the crowds and back to the jeep. It was roughly a mile and half hike round trip, but now, as the day is winding down, it's time to start thinking about making my way to my accommodations for the evening. There's plenty more to do and see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment