Monday, October 5, 2020

Ferncliff Peninsula and Ohiopyle Falls (Fayette County, Pennsylvania)


Waking up here in western Pennsylvania, it somehow just feels like fall. I'm starting my day with a hike around Ferncliff Peninsula and then exploring the connected Ohiopyle Falls Park. Arriving at the parking lot early, there are a few cars, but no people here. These are probably trail runners out for some miles on this brisk morning. 

The trail enters the woods nearby and I soon make my way to a footbridge high above the Youghiogheny River. Below, I see a several sections of fairly tame rapids and the valley cut by the river has some great autumn colors. In the distance, I can hear a train whistle. It certainly has the feel of the northeast here. 


Making my way back from the bridge, I'm forced to carefully lower myself down a muddy, slippery hill to continue the trail around the peninsula. I'm thinking this is a bad idea as this is really steep and I could easily fall, but with the help of my trekking poles, I successfully make it down. The trail heads west towards the river and I end up scrambling out onto some rocks to see the same area I saw from the bridge, but from the ground now. It's a very pretty area.

As I make my way down this muddy but well worn trail, I take note of the tree leaves turning multiple shades of yellow and orange. It takes my mind to Robert Frost's famous words about two diverging paths. I've always been drawn to that poem and the truth about life and our choices throughout that it reveals. I'm happy I've made the choices I have and I'm glad to be where I am.


Making the turn around the southern end of the trail, I'm forced to divert to a return trail further away from the river, as it seems there has been some slide damage. While I'm not able to get a good view of the falls from here, I decide to drive over to the park's observation deck once I return to my jeep.

Parking, I quickly walk the pavement to a wooden observation deck overlooking the river and the beautiful waterfall. The power of this river as it funnels through the channel is quite stunning. After a few minutes admiring the scene, it's time to head onto my next adventure for the day. Mileage for this trail was about 2.3 miles, plus the short walk on the pavement. Definitely, a stop worth making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment